View Single Post
Old 01-11-08, 12:24 PM
Yue Tao
Yue Tao

Bikes: 84 Centurion Protour, 85 Masi 3v(49cm), 85 Masi 3V (51cm), 89 Raleigh Edge "Trials Bike" 2004 Bianchi Pista

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by DC_Emily
My fiancee struggled for a while to gain weight. He had to really, really overeat for about six weeks. He also supplemented his 4-5 calorie-heavy meals with protein shakes. He changed his weight program to a high-intensity, low rep workout. Unfortunately, I'm not sure exactly what the % change was in weight amounts, but I know the rep count as only 3-4 per set for three sets with longer (1.5-2 min.) breaks in between. He was able to gain 10 pounds over those six weeks and noticied significant gains in his strength. Plus, he's been able to pretty much return to his regular eating habits and keep the weight on.

My explanation is a litle low on detail, but i hope that helps.
Ok, It has been ten years since my last effort to gain muscle so perhaps its time to try again. Thanks for your reply I believe it is detailed enough for me to follow. That is an extremely low number of repetitions though, 3-4 reps per set, I've never heard of anyone doing sets in this way. 10 reps is the lowest number I've heard of before. Do you know where he got his training program from or was it something he just tried and it worked?

Anyway it sounds like it is still possible for me. I'll give it another shot when I find a gym.