Old 01-12-08, 07:57 PM
felldownthewell
Senioritis Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by donnamb
Did you guys see these articles? I'm not turning into Pollyanna here, but I also know change like this can only happen one step at a time. This could be the next step.

I'm so sorry about what happened to you. I personally witnessed Kruger pepper spray that 18 month old in the stroller back in 2003 and his actual promotion pisses me off so very much. I don't think the police union is going to let any of those cops receive the justice they so richly deserve, though. If they can change their behavior in the present, I will be (mostly) satisfied.
I was too young to be politically conscious for that protest but as you can imagine I've heard all about it. That must have been tough to see.

I hadn't seen those articles, and I'm really glad some policy is changing. I know several people who have been hit around town (one by a cop car, although my friend was in the wrong), and the directive can only help. Unfortunately, it really depends on the cop. There are some excellent policemen in Portland; however their "accomplishments" (if you can call doing your job an accomplishment) are overshadowed by officers like the animals who beat James Chasse to death. Something tells me that if Chris Humphreys can disobey the general police directive on not beating people to death, he won't be the first to follow one about bike collisions.

Obviously my outlook on the whole situation is a little negative, but I can't complain with progress, however useful (or not) it may turn out to be.