View Single Post
Old 01-14-08, 03:42 PM
BSLeVan

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Red Rider
I enjoy group exercise, I love using music to work out to, and I'd rather take a class than get on my trainer at home. Yeah, there's the convenience thing, but there's no accountability and no one to look over and remind me about form, focus, goals, etc. I work harder on my trainer but that's because I push myself, and it's harder to get up the enthusiasm to get on it.
Lots of good info, Red Rider. I think the above paragraph speaks to the heart of the issue for me. On a personal level, the only one I'm accountable to is me. I've never met anyone who was more aware of my shortcomings that I am. Hence, very few people have ever been able to push me harder than I can push myself. Keep in mind that what I've just said is in the context of pushing to reach goals. I've had fitness instructors, martial arts instructors, and others push me just for the sake of pushing me. Most of them, however, would acknowledge that I was pushing myself more than hard enough to reach my goals. With that said, there are many people who do benefit from having someone else motivate them.