loriy29680
new roadie

Bikes: Specialized Allez

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by khuon
I'm glad you seem to have overcome your learning curve. Make no mistake. you will eventually fall again. I'm sorry to tell you that but it will happen. One thing that may be of comfort is that it will happen less often and using the clipless pedals will become easier as your foot develops the muscle memory needed and your cleats get broken in. The Speedplay cleats are initially quite stiff but will eventually break in and become smoother and easier to work.

Have you had a proper fitting done? You may want to check your cleat position as well as your saddle height and it's fore/aft position. A proper fitting will help get all this straightened out. What kind of shoes do you have? Speedplay pedals typically require shoes with very stiff soles for optimal comfort and performance. Another thing to check is the tightness of your buckles/laces on your shoes. Remember that your feet expand during the ride. You might have to adjust for that. Also, check your socks. I was getting foot numbness for a while until I realised that I was wearing socks that were too small. Finally, try and concentrate on spinning as opposed to mashing. This will for one thing allow you to work what would have been unused muscles thus extending your endurance. Secondly, it relieves the heavy downwards pressure which can lead to premature foot numbness at the bottom of your feet.
Thanks for the tips. I thought I had been professionally fitted, but maybe I don't really know what that entails. Before I bought the bike, the LBS put it on a trainer and had me ride for a while. They studied my form, and made adjustments, made me ride outside for a while, put it back on the trainer, made more adjustments. Since I bought it though, I haven't had any more adjustments done. I'm almost sure my seat is a little too low. I bought Shimano shoes and they do seem to have a very stiff sole, but I'll try loosening the straps a little. Didn't think about my feet expanding during the ride. That might help. I'm gonna run by my LBS tomorrow and see if they can put me back on the trainer to see if I'm right about the seat.
And yeah, I know I'll fall again. It's ok. I really did like the clipless. Felt safer going downhill for sure.