View Single Post
Old 08-30-04, 09:29 PM
EastKY

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Two newbies from the Bluegrass State

57 yrs old male, here. My wife is 60, but looks much younger, oh yeah! We weight train on a regular basis and consider ourselves fairly fit and healthy for our ages. However, we didn't do any aerobic stuff on a regular basis. And, I hate to admit it, both of us smoked until about 4 months ago and we finally gave it up. A great decision by both of us, we feel sooooo much better even after only 4 months smoke-free. However.... the withdrawl “munchies” hit both of us very hard and we are each 10-15 lbs over our normal weight and are not happy about that aspect of giving up tobacco.

We decided something had to been done about it, we tried to reduce the caloric intake, but found that very difficult. So, our next approach was to burn more calories. But neither of us cares for running and walking seemed a slow way to get there. So, we thought “Bicycles!” The wife had a dusty X-mart MTB in the garage that I tuned up, but both found it a chore to ride. I then did some internet research, which gave me a basic understanding of what to look for in a bicycle, plus digested LOTS of info and good opinions here on bikeforums.

Result? This weekend we came home from our LBS with two Giant Cypress hybrid bikes and they are AWESOME! A joy to ride. It's only been 3 days with them, but we are truly “jazzed” about them and feel they'll not only allow us to burn some calories, but will open up a whole new realm for getting out there and enjoying life!

So, we'll see you out on the road and thanks to all you veterans for sharing all your knowledge with us newbies.