Old 01-15-08, 12:22 PM
andrelam

Bikes: Gerry Fisher Nirvana, LeMond Buenos Aires

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by thirdin77
I actually watched the whole thing . I think the mention of Belgium being a cyclist-aware, cyclist-tolerant country cut right to the heart of the issue- that it is a culture that makes vehicular cycling possible infinitely moreso than urban planning or painting bike lanes onto existing roadways. It just drives home the fact that in Britain and definitely in the USA that the culture is a car culture .
How sad that we share one more close tie with Britain. It is interesting just hwo different Britain is from main land Europe. One thing that is a sad commonality is the crazy lines as schools. Here in the USA there is even less reason for the silly car traffic as most kids have a school bus stop pretty much right on front of their door. Cars made the road super busy. Super busy roads are considered unsafe for use of alternative mode of transportation so more get in their cars to make the roads even busier... what a silly cycle.

As far as the red light running cyclists. I don't understand. I personally will not go through a red light. There have only been a few occasions in my life I have purposely run a red, but they were all for good reasons. The 1st one I was taking my wife to the hospital because her asthma was acting up, she was breathing, but it was a little labored. Two blocks from the hospital she passed out and stopped responding. At that point I gunned the throttle and got to the ER as fas as I could without causing an accident. The other few times have been because of defective road sensors that prevented the light from turning on my side of the road. Stop signs I use as a yield sign and at the busier intersections I will always come to a full stop. I just can't believe how the cyclist just bomb through the lights and dodge the pedestrians. That is a good way to make lots of enemies... something we cyclists certainly don't need any more of.

I also don't see the point of the protests that purposely block traffic. That will never help gain any respect and good will between the protesting cyclists and the other road going traffic. I looks a lot like what happens here when Critical Mass gets going. I don't want to get into any serious debate about that as there has been plenty of that on the boards. As far as those that want to go around cycling naked... what ever floats your boat, who knows maybe it is fun, at least in the UK they won't get arrested for the naked part. I guess the message about being more vulnerable might no get accross the spectaters as they maybe a bit distracted by... the lack of clothing.

Obviously the stories about cyclists and pedestrians being killed are heart breaking. Even sadder is how many people die in cars, but somehow that is now considered somehow "normal." Sad how society comes numb to all the death on our roads.

Certainly a program that makes brings up lots of issues and makes you think and also hopefully make people aware of the good and the bad things that happen regarding our choice of transportation and how we use it.

Happy riding,
André