Old 01-16-08, 03:39 AM
pranavnegandhi

Bikes: LA Sovereign Navigator

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Wino Ryder
I dont know, but after three close calls maybe you should try slowing down a little.

just a thought
I would be riding at about 15 kmph. Does that seem too fast? Most cyclists here ride around the same pace.

Originally Posted by noisebeam
edit: I only now (2hr later) notice you are in India and presumably cycling there. Obviously the laws may be different that the US centric ones I referred to. In any case regardless of where I was cycling I would generally follow concept to yield to pedestrians and do what it takes as a driver to watch for their safety and comfort.
I agree with this one, but when there's a pedestrian in your way at every step, it becomes difficult to follow this rule. Most drivers have the attitude that if you're walking on the road, then you're automatically responsible for looking out for yourself. I try to be more careful than that, at least.

Originally Posted by BarracksSi
Maybe he should put a down payment on one of those cheap cars that's supposed to be coming out...
And do what? Buzz pedestrians with a car instead of a bike? We already have crowded roads. Making cars accessible to every household is going to make things worse. I think the Tata's should've invested in making a signal system that never breaks down, or a solution to the footpath encroachments.

Originally Posted by BarracksSi
I first tried that "You're fine, don't worry" line a few weeks ago as I passed by another pedestrian in a crosswalk, and she responded with a "Thank you." I think that the extra communication really makes a difference. You can't do anything from a car besides honk your horn or wave your hand, but on a bike, you can still be within vocal range. And, if you choose the right words, you can tell people that you acknowledge their presence, and you can properly tell them your intentions.
I like this one. Will definitely follow it from now on.

Incidently, the father of the child was quite apologetic about the whole thing. I would've waved back or spoken a few words if I hadn't been so shook up.

And for those who haven't had a taste of road conditions in India, there's a video available at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RjrEQaG5jPM which is an accurate depiction of conditions through most of this country. This is what we have to commute in every single day. It makes most other incidents in this forum seem positively tame in comparision.