Old 01-16-08, 05:17 PM
Catgrrl70

Bikes: noyb

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hey, I'm from Seattle and use the area around the "****" - since renamed SLUS (streetcar, not trolley, after the city finally realized the acronym). The basic problem is that the rails meander across the street and around corners, so there's really no "safe" lane to ride in anywhere along the route. It takes the right lane part-way and then gently curves over to the left lane. Try getting a 90-degree angle on those suckers in traffic and that's why there's been problems. Along the northmost portion of the route, the tracks bend around a corner and the city has now suggested to cyclists that we ride on the sidewalk here. Not a bad proposition but for the cross-traffic, the peds, the multiple bus-stops and the streetcar stops themselves. Plus, the sidewalk just ends at one point, at a difficult merge/street entrance for a bike. Then, the positioned the rails along Westlake on a major bike route, effectively making the bike-route almost useless. I've taken part of the route on my motorcycle and that unnerved me so much I have never taken my bike along the route. There's no rubber protectors b/t track and street as I've seen in Portland and even on some commercial tracks on my regular route home here - so the city knows the protectors exist, they just didn't bother with them. The city recently installed "trolley/bike" warnings signs at least...after bicyclists started complaining.