Old 01-18-08, 11:44 AM
Bacciagalupe
Professional Fuss-Budget

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 14 Posts
Originally Posted by brakemeister
what proprietary bits are you talking about which are not proprietary bits on other folders
You, uh, did notice the irony implicit in the smiley-face, right?

But since you asked....

I agree that several other manufacturers have proprietary parts. The difference is that they aren't changing those parts every 2-3 years, thus making it difficult to get replacements.

E.g. Swift and BF both use proprietary handleposts, and that's about it. Forks for that size are rare but I think they can be swapped. I believe the derailleur hanger on the Xootr Swift is also custom. Those parts don't change from year to year, though, and would be a snap to replace on an older model. Whereas with a Dahon, you'd be hard pressed to replace the handlepost on a 2004 model.

Even the QR's on a Swift are totally standardized and replaceable.

Ergo for the XXV: I'd assume steering mechanism/headset, handlepost, stem, derailleur hanger (if it uses one), frame hinge, seatpost clamp, maybe the fork?

I am happy to state that this is not a huge deal. But it would kinda suck to drop $3,000 on a bike, and have tons of trouble replacing the handlepost 4 years down the road.

(And for the record: this also applies to other bikes, like the new Trek Madones; beautiful bikes, but the custom BB and seatmast could be very problematic down the road....)