View Single Post
Old 01-19-08, 08:46 AM
wahoonc
Membership Not Required

Bikes: Giant Excursion, Raleigh Sports, Raleigh R.S.W. Compact, Motobecane? and about 20 more! OMG

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 14 Posts
Originally Posted by gerv
Just read a book that touched on this very topic regarding technology. (Dark Age Ahead by Jane Jacobs.) Jacobs talks about how in the early 20th century, a great number of streetcar companies were bought up by the big car companies. As soon as these were bought, the streetcar companies were mysteriously shut down. The end result was that customers soon forgot the convenience of the streetcar, as they learned to struggle through car traffic to move around.

In the same way, many environmentalists, politicians and even urban/transportation planners do not see the bicycle as a viable means of transportation. Reason is that any knowledge of moving around seriously by bike went out after about 1890. The bicycle became marginalized and nowadays no one even considers the possibility of traveling by bike -- particularly at this time of the year.... though the truth is you CAN bike in winter, in rain, in all kinds of conditions. In fact, the experience isn't that bad... The only problem is that a large swath of our society DOES NOT KNOW THIS!
Thanks for the link on the book...now to run down a copy

From what I have observed most of the people that you mentioned all have a fairly myopic view of transportation in general. The car as a personal form of transport is so ingrained into the American (and many others) way of life that people can only see a form of motorized personal transport as the only solution. It is going to take a long time to rid people of that way of thinking. It only takes 2 days to learn a new habit but something like 3 weeks to get rid of and old one. I am constantly warping people's minds by showing up places on a bicycle they would never expect to see me; church, grocery store, dinner/sales meetings in "remote" towns, etc. We need mass transit, but it is in gross need of an overhaul, we don't "need" the automobile to the extent that it is currently used.

The only way out I can see is to keep plugging away at it, showing people what can be done and working on a local level.

Aaron

ISO: A late 1980's Giant Iguana MTB frameset (or complete bike) 23" Red with yellow graphics.

"Cycling should be a way of life, not a hobby.
RIDE, YOU FOOL, RIDE!"
_Nicodemus

"Steel: nearly a thousand years of metallurgical development
Aluminum: barely a hundred
Which one would you rather have under your butt at 30mph?"
_krazygluon