View Single Post
Old 01-21-08, 04:34 AM
Rowan

Mentioned: 125 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1454 Post(s)
Liked 85 Times in 40 Posts
My suggestions:

Shoes. Better ones. Avoid the Walmart ones!! Spend the money for the proper support for the time you spend standing. It will be the cheapest option, even though good shoes may seem expensive at the time or purchase. Even consider seeing a podiatrist who can prescribe and/or make inserts that provide the right amount of support around that joint.

Diet. Look at it critically for factors that encourage the symptoms.

Try to avoid long-term drug use. The drugs result in problems with other more important parts of your body, including the liver and kidneys. My father had cortisone injections long-term and it resulted in atrophy of his muscles and tendons, and complications with other organs. Warnings have been issued fairly recently about ibuprofen usage relating to heart conditions.

The worst case of athritist I have seen was an active, buxom and delightful woman woman who descended through hell -- and beyond -- to a wizened, emaciated and contorted figure. It broke everyone's heart to see her deterioration. She tried everything, including a move to warmer climates, gold, and the invasive treatments, and she continued to work when she could through it all.