Old 09-02-04, 07:35 AM
Bart5657

Bikes: 2004 Specialized Allez Triple

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Lube for Kabuki

Hey guys. My dad got his Bridgestone Kabuki Submariner in about 1968, 1969. Over the past 5 years I have been using it, and somewhat heavily lately. Over the years the bike has gotten fairly dirty (but not rusty, its stainless steel ), and things just arent as smooth as they used to be. My goal now is too change all the cables, brake pads, and the chain. Take apart the headset and crankset (and also the fork, beacuse I noticed that where the fork goes into the frame it has gotten very dirty) , and clean and grease them. And also clean all the gears, and adjust and fine tune the deraileurs.
My question to you guys is this. I have some light chain oil, will this suffice as as a lube for all the parts? Also what can I use to clean the gears and deraileurs, can i just spay them with WD 40?? One more thing, I have never taken a chain off a bike, whats the proper way to do it, and what tools are required?
Thx a lot, and I apologize if this posting is not the most grammatically piece of literature on the forums.