View Single Post
Old 01-24-08, 11:48 AM
spinninwheels
aspiring island dweller

Bikes: Easy Racers GRR, Cannondale T-2000/Rohloff Custom, Cannondale R-700, Custom Fixie/Single Speed, Santa Cruz

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Whether computers are designed with planned obsolescence in mind, or they merely fall to the wayside because of technical/software advancements, this may be more difficult to eradicate than it appears. And I'm not picking issue with advancements that we have made over the years per se. It's just that some times things are just so shoddily built, it really makes you wonder if we've really advanced so far or not.

I've now lived in two major cities (Toronto and Vancouver) that have had problems with respect to where they are (will be) dumping their garbage/waste. They are running out of room and the general public may not seem to be aware of this, or care for that matter. Granted there may be a lot of things that are responsible for this, but really, is this just not a symptom of our priorities, or lack there of, in our society?

It just seems that with our current population, and our consumption of products and resources within this finite system, there will come a time when this will have to be addressed. And corporations shouldn't be allowed to shurk their responsibility. Sure they can say that they are only supplying what the market demands, but somewhere along the line, people/society/business have to start standing up and making choices with the bigger picture in mind - rather than just the health of the statement of operations/balance sheet.

Though some may find this depressing, I find it a positive thing. Acknowledging that we have a problem, is the first step towards actually correcting it. And the more people know, and are educated with respect to options and choices, the better off we will be.

And I think that as consumers, we have to shift our buying habits so that the marketplace will adjust to this new paradigm.