View Single Post
Old 01-26-08, 12:11 PM
graywolf

Bikes: Bianchi hybrid. Dunelt 3-sp. Raleigh basket case. Wanting a Roadster.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
My Bicycling thing is...

I was reading old posts on the Recreational/Family Forum and saw a closed poll about how people saw themselves cycling wise. It was interesting but rather limited, so I thought how about a thread that was more detailed, yet open?

So here is the idea. List your top cycling interests, and write a brief paragraph about each so folks can see clearly what you are talking about. I guess in the interest of brevity we should limit it to no more then five areas. I will do mine as a start to the thread and as an example of what I mean.

1. Scenic rides.
The complete opposite of getting there. Just riding along enjoying the view. Stopping for anything that looks interesting to me to check it out. Not fast, not far, but enjoyable.

2. Tinkering.
I like to tinker with bicycles, from keeping my bikes in tune to restoring an older bike. I seem to particularly like to upgrade them like putting modern alloy components on an old three speed, giving me a bicycle that is kind of different from what you can buy. If I had more resources I would be into doing all kinds of interesting things to bicycles. I am fascinated by electric bikes and think an old 3-speed with a Cyclone setup would be a blast.

3. Transportation.
Using a bicycle to get from here to there and back again. Almost the opposite of my first thing. I guess this could be considered a combination of utility bicycling and commuting. However, I have no interest in proving something to myself or others and am not even going to try to be car free.

4. 3-speed bicycles, especially roadsters. I do not have a roadster but as you can see from my sig I would really like to. I have a couple of English 3-speeds (Sports/Light Roadsters) , one a newer, but not better, version of the one I had as a kid. I guess this would be collecting if I had the resources, but as it is it is just having a couple of old bicycles that I like.

5. Bicycling, and walking, are my preferred ways of getting exercise, but I almost never ride just for exercise.

There you have my cycling interests, what are yours?