View Single Post
Old 01-27-08, 01:24 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
I am getting more in to racing. A couple of years ago I considered myself a triathlete, now I'm a bike racer. I've run all of 6 miles this year, swum not at meter. But I'm on my bike every day and I joined a team to have teammates to race with and to get a discount at the shop where I was spending all my discretionary income anyway...

But I'm also a daily commuter. And I've done it so long now that the comments from co-workers have stopped. No one asks me if I want a ride home when it's sprinkling because they know what the answer will be.

When I get home, I love to tinker. I've never been particularly mechanically inclined, but there's something about the inherent efficiency and pure design of a bike that speaks to me. I take my race bike to the shop, but I love to work on my fixed gear and neo-retro Italian road bike. I also have a '86 Gazelle Champion Mondial that I will eventually build as a period-correct restoration.

Finally, nothing gives me greater pleasure than a ride around the park with my son. We took off his training wheels at 3 years, 4 months, and ever since we've had a standing date to go for a ride on Sunday mornings and summer evenings.