Old 01-28-08, 04:53 PM
Mr. Beanz
Banned.

Bikes: Lemond Chambery/Cannondale R-900/Trek 8000 MTB/Burley Duet tandem

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
HeyBigwies, a tip incase you didn't know. One BIG mistake many CLYDE riders make is thinking since we have more weight to take us down the hill, we descend faster. It's true but keep this in mind. Many big riders have this thing in their head that because we are a bit slower up that we should pound the pedals while descending. BIG MISTAKE!

A rider doesn't really gain any advantage while pushing hard on the dowhill. It is more efficient to let your weight take you down in a tuck while softpedaling in order to keep the legs warm and prevent freezing up of the leg muscles. Let our weight take you down even if you don't gain any ground on those around you. Conserve your energy for the push up!

I've done this around other riders. They are so happy that they can keep up with the big guy on the way down not realizing I was planning for the way up. If it's a short climb, 50 yards, 100 yards, heck a clyde can do some serious damage to lighter riders if he plans the climb correctly. They've used so much energy trying to keep up on the dh, while we conserve for the climb. All about technique!

Another thing with long climbs. I really practice this on climbing centuries. While descending, continue to softpedal. One ride has a 60 mile climb, then a 40 mile downhill. IF you don't continue to move your legs, your legs will be cold by the time you hit the flats or a small climb. You'll feel the pain! It will be like starting over once you begin trying to spin the pedals agin.

I have a bud that is actully a strong rider than I but beat him all the time with cause he has no plan. Wehit a section of short rolling hills. He continues to push on the short descents while I softpedal. He doesn't notice cause my legs are spinning. I push hard on the up and easy on the down knowing that I willnot lose much ground on a descent. He too is a clyde, but a clyde without a plan so I get him everytime. Eventually he runs out of energy and can only watch me pull away. He can't figure out how I get him everytime.

So many little things that aid cycling. Same rider was punishing me on a climbing ride. We were close bu he kept edging me out. Just couldn't seem to catch up. We hit an old road with a large hedge along the side. I moved close to the hedge using it as a wind barrier. Felt like I was in a draft. He was a bit ahead but wasn't long before I blew by him like he was standing still. He can't figure that one out either....and I aint telling him!

I picked that one up watching TDF videos. Ever notice the riders duck near the barriers while sprinting to the finish line. It acts as a wind shield. When you start doing longer more difficult rides, use every advantage possible.

Just something to think about!