View Single Post
Old 01-30-08, 10:44 AM
Retro Grouch 

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1547 Post(s)
Liked 538 Times in 316 Posts
Originally Posted by Steele-Bike View Post
The bike is a late 90's Specialized Expedition. The shifting is the reversed spring type (you twist the opposite way). I have heard it is easier for beginners to shift this way. I am not sure on the exact model of derailleur, but it's low end and the shifters have the separate display that shows the gear selection. The current setup works fine, I just don't like the reverse twist on the gripshift.
OK, without seeing the bike here's what I think.

I think that you have SRAM MRX shifters and a regular Shimano rear derailleur. The SRAM shifters make you twist the right hand one way to get a harder gear and the opposite way with the left hand to get a harder gear. I hate that.

Assuming I'm right, here's what I would do. Look carefully at your shifters and brake levers. Do they have 1 common clamp or 2 separate clamps?

If it's 2 separate clamps you can buy a pair of Shimano EZ-fire shifters with the same number of gears as your cassette. You'll need new longer handgrips too. If it's 1 common clamp you might as well get the shifters and brake levers together because the cost is pretty close to shifters alone.