View Single Post
Old 09-06-04, 01:14 PM
re-cycler

Bikes: 2007 Serotta Fierte Ti ; 2003 raleigh m-80 ; 1983 Motobecane Grand Touring (being transformed into Townie)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Indolent58
You will need a whole new bike ;-)

If this is an older bike you may have a quill stem (a one piece unit). If so there will be a 6mm hex bolt either exposed or under a cap. Simply loosen it a bit, straighten your bars and retighten. You don't need a torque wrench. Just tighten to the point that you can't move the bars from side to side while bracing the front wheel between your legs. Don't overtighten beyond that - you may crack the bolt or the stem.

If you have a more modern threadless stem (clamped to the upright steerer tube with two hex bolts, you can slightly loosen the bolts realign the bars too. It gets a bit more complicated because the stem is also what determines the adjustment of your headset. You may have to tweak the bolt on the top cap to readjust the headset preload before retightening. If you have never done this before you may want to watch the LBS do it. Not a big deal either way.

Thanks a bunch! Mine is the older style I believe. It is a nice looking piece, actually -- one piece angled that goes into headseet. I see the hex bolt on top.

So I don't have to mess with the larger nuts where the stem goes into the headset? That was what I was worrying about.

Thanks again for the advice. I've been antsy all day to get back on the bike, and with LBS closed on Labor Day, well...