Old 09-07-04, 07:38 AM
Dahon.Steve

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 261 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by fit24hrs
I'm short. 5'7'', with a 30'' inseam. I'm just wondering if anyone here is also my size and if so, what size bike you have. I've been eyeing a 55 cm on ebay but I'm afraid it might be too big. Your input?
I am your exact size. (unless you have large arms)

Knowing what I know now, I would stay away from 55 cm on Ebay. Why?

1. You can't return it back - Is that good enough reason?

2. A 55' frame is ment for those around 5'9" or taller! A person you're height should be looking at bikes that are 53' tops! I repeat. You need to find a bike that is no bigger than a 53'!!!!

3. Actually, the best fit for you would be a 52'. I purchased three bikes this year. A Bianchi Volpe (52') Eros (53') and Jamis Aurora. (53')

Guess what. The volpe fits perfect, the Eros is OK and the Aurora is too big. The Aurora is too big because the frame is more traditional while the Eros has a slanting top tube. A bicycle with a traditional geometry will be larger than many of the newer compact frames.

I'm still keeping the Aurora but now I have to buy a shorter stem and smaller handlebars. In the meantime, I've moved the seat all the way to the front while tilting it up! Hopefully, I can resolve the seat issue with the smaller handlebar and stem. However. You can see the work I'm doing and the expense I'm going through to get the bike just right. At the moment, it doesn't give me any problems and is actually comfortable because I dialed it in over the weekend so that is is rideable. In fact, I really don't have to do anything more to the bike because it "fits" but I will never buy a 53 in a traditional size frame ever again. I wouldn't even think about a 55' cm frame. If these new adjustments don't work, the Aurora will be up for sale.

Last edited by Dahon.Steve; 09-07-04 at 07:49 AM.