View Single Post
Old 02-05-08, 01:34 PM
rwp

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by WalterMitty
Well there you go, that's probably the basis of your frustration.

First, while you don't think it is illegal to approach someone (a stranger?) for the purpose of arguing with them, you're actions easily and quickly cross over to assault. All the other person has to say is that they felt threatened by you and took steps to defend themselves. If you compound your poor judgement by approaching a stranger with something in your hand (e.g. a tire pump, a water bottle that could be metal, a bike lock, etc) in most states they can kill you (if they do it quickly) and will not be charged with any serious crime.

A few comments about this paragraph:

1) The OP never said anything about holding a weapon or anything that might appear to be a weapon. Don't blame him for something that he didn't do.
2) The OP is correct that it is not illegal to approach someone with the intent of arguing with them and his actions as described don't come close to assault.
3) In most states one will be charged with a serious crime if they end up killing you. The exceptions, in a few states, occur when they feel that their life or the life of someone else is in danger and if there is reasonable grounds for feeling that way. They can't just say "I felt threatened so I killed the guy". That's a sure ticket to the penitentiary in any state.

While I agree with you that it's poor judgement to do what the OP said he did, you're going way overboard in making these statements.