Old 02-05-08, 05:51 PM
spokenword

Bikes: ANT Club Racer, 2004 Trek 520

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Machka
I have fallen asleep on my bicycle ... it happens so fast. There you are thinking you're OK, and thinking about the hum of the bicycle in the dark, and thinking about how the road looks whizzing past, and thinking how nice it would feel to close your eyes for just a second ... not much longer than a blink .... not enough to be dangerous or anything, because after all, you're feeling OK ......

And next thing you know ....
One of my scariest memories from PBP was on the return from Brest and after leaving Carhaix en route to Loudeac. I remember getting sleepy, and being on a quiet, long, dark street with a few riders ahead of me and a few riders behind me.

Then, suddenly, I was approaching a rotary and I had to figure out which way I was turning. And I didn't remember how I got to the rotary because I didn't see it before. I was cycling for what must have been a few seconds completely asleep.

Yeah, that bit of adrenaline didn't last for long either. But it was long enough to get to a village with a cafe and some espresso. Then, on leaving the village, I got lost with another rider after missing a turn in the dark, rainy night. Once we realized that we were off course, we suddenly had no problem with staying awake. Fear had taken care of that for us.