Old 02-05-08, 07:40 PM
Abneycat
Hooligan

Location: Base of the Rocky Mountains, Canada. Wonderous things!

Bikes: 2010 Cannondale Hooligan 3

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Actually, I have to make notes on some of the other things he says now, after having more time to read over it again.

"2. Every little bit does not help."

Every little bit does help. Metaphorically, I don't know where he gets the idea that -5 is not -5. It isn't -5000, no, but the notion that -5 is somehow 0 is wrong. Solar and wind applications can (in the right context!) return quite a bit more energy from their production than what is used in their conception. Similarly, houses designed with functional improvements in energy efficiency, in tandem with efficiently used renewable grid projects (utilizing 100% of the output being produced by the device, as close to 100% of the time as possible) can provide a staggering reduction. In addition, these technologies gradually improve every year and their balance of output over cost becomes increasingly more attractive.

I imagine that the author has images of urban hippies charging their iPods with little foldout solar panels in the park, not of wind/solar arrays linked to provide constant auxiliary or primary output.

The trick here, is to inform people of what is efficient and meaningful usage, and whats just waste.