Old 02-06-08, 07:44 PM
Niles H.
eternalvoyage

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by xxsoultonesxx
I'm trying to keep it on the cheap and light end of things, but would like to have the option of universal fuel....so what are my other options for under $70?
One thing to be aware of is that multi-fuel stoves can generate a lot of soot when they are used with most fuels other than white gas.

An MSR engineer told me that his favorite fuel by far (for the multi-fuel stoves) is white gas, because it burns so much cleaner. He said that his colleagues at MSR feel the same way.

I've tried some of the other fuels, and I have to agree with them. The soot can be strong and very messy, and somewhat difficult to contain. It's very easy for it to get into or onto other things, including your hands; and it is more difficult to remove (at all well or thoroughly) than one might expect. One can minimize it, but it's still makes things less pleasant. I really came to appreciate white gas.

It is also a cost effective way to go. If you compare the cost with canisters, it is much more economical. The cost of canisters can add up to quite a bit more over time.

You might be interested in some of the gear reviews online and in magazines. Backpackers have field tested many of these stoves, and they have written very detailed reviews. There are some excellent ones online. Google should get you there.

MSR makes some excellent stoves.

Last edited by Niles H.; 02-07-08 at 02:58 PM.