HiYoSilver
Rides again

Bikes: Giant OCR T, Trek SC

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Tom Bombadil
Your current gearing of 26 front and 27 rear is already pretty low for a road bike. Going to 12-34 would be a big difference, another 7 teeth on the rear is not a trivial change.

Interesting. I've decided against the german one enclosed shifter. It's is great for even shifting, but range is only 19 to 95. 95gi is way too low.

Yeah I know it's low. It's not really a road bike. Actually a touring bike where I have changed the gears. It has a deore rear derailer. I think it is long cage. Initially was vanilla 30.42.52, but currently 26.42.53. Initial rear was 12.23 but that did not allow low enough gears for me so I switched to 12.27. This will handle most hills, but some are still a tad too much. I had stayed away from the 11.32, 11.34 gears because of the bad shifting characteristics, but in rebrowsing the forums I found a comment by Stefan that 11.32 is not bad.

So with my setup, it seems like the best way to go is to go back to the Giant default of 11.34 on rear, that will drop to 21GI.
What I don't know if I can handle a 24.x.52 front and 12.34 rear. That would be ideal as the shifting on the 12.34 is better than on a 11.34. If starting fresh, I'ld probably change front to 22.x.48 but would rather go to a higher large ring. I'ld put up with some ackward shifting just to have the option of dropping to granny sometimes.

I wish I could drop to a small ring of 22 as that would keep my smooth shifting and allow me to drop to 22gi. Alas I don't think the shifters would handle it.

I appreciate all the advice and input. I was mainly looking for practical comments on how smooth the shifting is between gears on these cassettes:
11-32
11-34
12-34

And then what ring sets people are using with the cassettes. I have been disappointed in the new 10s cassettes, as what they have added is a middle gear where it is not needed and have not either extended the range or eliminated a bad shift jump.