Niles H.
eternalvoyage

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by MMACH 5
...he sounds like...
Without meeting him or even reading the book? Based on rumors? Give the poor sot a chance at least.

[If his leaving the first woman for the second woman is part of it, there is a long story involved there. And it was very difficult for him.

If (supposed) bogus charities are it, how can we know? Based on a rumor? Is that really fair to him?]

I've never met him, and don't really know him, but I don't have those sorts of judgments about him, and it does seem that he is being treated a little harshly and perhaps unfairly.

On the other hand, I have to admit that I did have some judgments (at first at least) about Jenkins. I reacted to that guy's book at first, but then realized that he was just pushing some of my (judgment) buttons, and my judgments were much more about me than about him. (That often seems to be the case with these sorts of things.) Now I'm fine with his book.

Neil Pert's book was a disappointment. It wasn't bad, but I was set up to expect something great.

A lot of these things seem to be based on individual differences, and individual reactions.

I thought (at first) that Dervla Murphy came across as something of a 'nasty #####' (she used that term for herself in one of her books, so it is her term, not mine). At first I had that judgment, then let it go. Now she seems quite like a human being to me -- complex, multi-faceted, not just one thing or one image or one judgment....

There seem to be little elements to these books and people that just set off reactions [it may even be happening here in these forums, and it probably is], but one can let them go and be clear of these reactions. It's worth letting go of ill will, it seems to me; charity, tolerance for diversities, and good will or friendship toward others seem more worthwhile, and a better way to live.

Last edited by Niles H.; 02-07-08 at 06:12 PM.