View Single Post
Old 02-07-08, 08:16 PM
Tom Bombadil
His Brain is Gone!

Bikes: RANS Stratus, Bridgestone CB-1, Trek 7600, Sun EZ-Rider AX, Fuji Absolute 1.0, Cayne Rambler 3

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
OK, I've done some more pricing comparisons.

Salsa Ala Carte vs Gary Fisher Mendota

- Put the Bontrager Switchblade carbon disc fork on both.
- Same saddle
- equivalent tires
- slight edge to Salsa on wheels, but nothing that would make any difference to me.
- Mountain bike crankset of equivalent quality to hybrid 48/36/26 crankset on Mendota

The Salsa would have a small edge in the following components
SRAM X.9 vs SRAM X.7
Avid BB7 mechanical disc brakes vs Avid BB5

Mendota has a carbon seat post vs the alloy post on the Salsa

All of these add up to give a small edge to the Salsa

Now we come to the major difference ... the frame

Salsa frame uses OX Platinum steel in the main triangle, standard 4130 cro-moly on stays

Mendota frame is Fisher's higher grade aluminum.

Overall "fit" to the frame's geometry looks to be a bit better on the Mendota, unless I could find an '07 Ala Carte 17".

Final price difference is approx $700-$750 higher for the Salsa - Final cost of around $1750 vs $1000.

For the most part, the small differences in the derailleurs, brakes, etc., would make little to no difference in my usage.

So how much is a mostly OX steel frame worth over aluminum frame, with the same fork and essentially the same wheels & tires? I suspect the ride difference would be slight.

(note my evil practical side is influencing me ... which it always does if I give it enough time)

There are two types of road bikers: bikers who are faster than me, and me. Bruce Cameron - Denver Post