Don't mince words

Bikes: '16 BH Quartz, 2017 Calfeecustom carbon tandem, Fuji D6 TT bike

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Pheard
Psssht FOO COME HERE.

Hi everyone? How's the bike riding going?

I was wondering how the adverse affects of riding daily can ulimitely affect your platelet's ability to instill the process of hemostasis, thus greatly increasing your chances of a bleed out per a serious case of road rash were to occur.
Now that the weather's gorgeous, the riding is awesome.

And it's funny that you pose this question.

I had a full physical early last month, including blood work. Just talked my doc last week about the results. My LDL ("bad" cholesterol) is 91, well under the max. My HDL ("good" cholesterol) is 94 -- baseline is 41. He said that the proportion between bad and good is unusual and impressive.

Then he said that my hemoglobin was 3:1 what "normal" is. I wondered if I was beginning to show signs of a blood disease of some kind, but he said no, it's more like the effect of training at altitude. He told me to keep doing what I'm doing. Good thing, because I don't plan to stop anytime soon.

He didn't indicate that this would be a problem in case of road rash. I've had road rash and not bled excessively (just hurt excessively ). I'm no expert but I'd think that the extra platelets would cause you to clot quicker. You can read more about hemostasis here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hemostasis

Has excessive bleeding been an issue for you?