View Single Post
Old 02-09-08, 11:32 AM
Lost again
Directionally Challenged

Bikes: 2000 Turner Burner, MTB, 2007 Turner 5 Spot MTB, 08 Bianchi Axis CX bike, Giant TCR 01 Carbon Road,Surly 1X1 ss MTB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It's finally taking shape as I've decided on dates and distance.

Starting point: Portland, Oregon

Starting Date : July 3rd, 2008

Finish date: (approximate) July 18th

Distance: 1000 miles

What I'm still deciding on is how to pack/ride for this tour. Do I use panniers or my newly purchased BOB trailer? The BOB will have lots of extra room in it and I'm not sure I need it. The plan is to ride for two days then hotel it, get cleaned up and ride again for another two days so every third day will be a room. Almost all food will be purchased along the way so again I don't think I'll need the BOB. I will be carrying a tent, pad, sleeping bag, toiletries, some food such as bars and perpetuem (liquid calories) lighting, a guide book, maps, clothes all riding types and maybe a pair of regular shorts, first aid box, shoes, and a bunch of small stuff. I hope to ride around 75 miles a day as I want to "smell the roses", but I'm not going to lock myself into any set mileage. I've got a few routes that have been emailed to me, but like I said, I won't be locked into any set route for time or distance. I have an additional 3 days to play with so if the ride for some reason went a little longer, no big deal.

One of the bigger problems: How the heck am I going to charge my Ipod?

The cell should hold up for the two days in between.

Is there a bike store that anyone would recommend that I could send my bike to then pick it up at? Close to the airport would be ideal.

Man, am I getting excited.