View Single Post
Old 02-10-08, 01:03 PM
BigBlueToe

Bikes: Surly LHT, Specialized Rockhopper, Nashbar Touring (old), Specialized Stumpjumper (older), Nishiki Tourer (model unknown)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I often dread going to the doctor, worrying about what he might find, then feel wonderful afterwards because of what he didn't!

I hope your lightheadness is nothing serious.

I DO have diabetes, and I had a few spells of lightheadedness before I was diagnosed. I'm a teacher, and there were several times when I'd feel dizzy and worry that I was about to pass out in front of my class! (I never did though.)

When I found out I was diabetic and started managing it, those spells mostly went away. I still get them from time to time, but I don't worry so much because I've been thoroughly checked out by my doctor, who assures me that I shouldn't worry about a little lightheadedness. Incidently, bicycling is probably the best medicine I have for my diabetes. Not only does the exercise lower my blood sugar, it's also good for preventing some of the other problems associated with diabetes - like heart disease.

One last thought. I've been a regular cyclist for a long time. I've also had low blood pressure for a long time - not dangerously low, more "healthily" low. When I stand up from a crouch, I often get dizzy. Everyone does, but my dizziness seems to be more severe and last longer. My wife, who's in the healthcare profession, says this is probably related to my low blood pressure.

I'm not a doctor, and I don't even play one on TV. I'm just trying to look on the optimistic side.