Old 02-12-08, 09:37 AM
RobertHurst

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 12 Posts
Originally Posted by Allister
Where there's roads, there's traffic. Lance Wannabees are on the road whether we like it or not, where else do you propose they ride?
I propose they start their rides at a place that will minimize the need to roll through intersections illegally. I propose that when they encounter a red-light intersection, recreational riders stop like other vehicles, group or no group. These groups need to be educated prior to each ride on how to roll through town in a way that doesn't infruriate everybody, but also minimizes the chances of a long group of idiots smashing into the back of the guy in front of them just because somebody wanted to stop for the light. That means having a little talk at the beginning of each ride to let everybody know they will be taking it easy while riding in these areas and stopping at red lights, not pacelining through.

No doubt we have some of the same people who criticize Critical Mass tactics as selfish and counterproductive turning around and plugging up intersections on their Sunday recreational group ride.

I support the right of anyone to use any road for any (legal) reason at any time of their choosing.
Me too. I even support the right of some individual cyclists to break laws if they do it well as part of their job, like messengers and bike cops, and I recognize the ability of even hobbyist cyclists to stretch the laws safely and reasonably in many situations. Individual cyclists can bust laws in a way that is both safe and respectful of the rights-of-way of other road users. But these large group rides are another matter entirely. When these guys roll through a red light it means somebody else who has the right-of-way has to wait, whether they like it or not. What if you were in some godawful hurry to get somewhere important, and found your rightful passage blocked by a large group of candy-colored riders who seemed possessed of some sense of entitlement to do whatever they pleased for the purpose of a recreational group ride, and to Hell with everybody else?

I also think it's reasonable to treat a peloton as a single long vehicle at traffic lights, within limits. As long as they're not unreasonably obsructing any other road users, they'll most likely get away with it. No problem.
They'll get away with it, and leave a trail of psychological destruction in their lycra-scented wake. I'd add that their getting away with it comes at the whim of local law enforcement, who at any time could decide to shut these rides down just like they do with the CM rides, following along with a troupe of moto-cops to write tickets and a truck to haul everybody's Madone to the impound, and they would be entirely within their powers to do so.

I do wonder if these group dynamics are VC or VC+ though.
If a VC-ist is doing it, whatever it is, it's VC something or other.

Robert

The Industrialized Cyclist