Old 02-12-08, 12:13 PM
melville

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by HillRider
The debate about chain replacement frequency seems never ending but tends to fall into two camps;

1) Change the chain a lot, and protect the freewheel
2) Wear out the chain completely and change both the chain and cassette together.

So my question is directed at those who change their chain often with the intent of using the same cassette for an extended time. Q: How long does your cassette last if you do this? 5000 miles? 25,000 miles, Forever?

The road bikes get a new chain every 2000 miles, the mountain bikes get one every 1000. This was easier when Sedisports were $7.95, but still not awful at $25.00 for whatever SRAM chain I get these days (and I'm not riding quite so much).

Cassette (?) durability? I'm still using mix 'n' match Uniglide cogs, FW and FH on the index bikes, and Suntour New Winner (best FW ever) on the friction bikes. For those of you who have no idea what that $#!+ is, Uniglide is pre 1990, and New Winner is pre 1987. There are probably some cogs in the 15 to 19 range (the ones that actually get used) that have done 30,000+ miles.

I did go about 5K on my main road bike with a chain recently and it took out my 39 ring (aftermarket) and put noticable wear on the 16, 17, & 19 cogs.