View Single Post
Old 02-12-08, 11:14 PM
Ngchen

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Building commercial level lights

I think I might have come across a setup that could be viable commercially. I am wondering whether it would be feasible to try to build and sell the setup. Before attempting such a venture, of course I have a bunch of questions.

1. How large or small is the "to see" headlight market (I'm thinking around 350-400 lumens)? I am especially interested in people willing to pay less than $100 (maybe even less than $50). Any LBS owners know how well lights sell? If the light would easily serve as a top-notch flashlight as well, how big is that market?

2. How do light manufacturers build their light bodies? Do they have factories making the parts from scratch, or are there simpler ways to obtain the bodies that would hold the bulb, batteries, etc. Likewise, what about mounting parts? How much is it to have a small plastics plant build light bodies? Minimum order? What about including switches and some basic electronics?

3. Where do we find data on the number of lumens the MR series of lamps put out? For some reason those numbers are difficult to find.