Old 02-13-08, 02:26 PM
Roody
Sophomoric Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 711 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 13 Posts
Scariest thing about winter riding?

Last night I was riding home from work in about 4 inches of fresh snow that had just finished falling. I could barely stay upright in the streets full of choppy snow, but I was making slow but decent progress.

As I got close to home on a major city street, I happened to look over my shoulder. Yellow blinking lights everywhere! That ominous sound of metal scraping on pavement, rapidly coming closer! It was the snowplows bearing down on me--four of them in phalanx formation!

These rolling dinosaurs covered the entire roadway from curb to curb, and they were moving fast. I didn't want to go left into approaching traffic, and there was no easy escape to the right because the curb was covered by a four foot snowbank from snow thrown up in previous storms. I thought fast, and got off my bike in the middle of the lane. I threw the bike over the snowbank, and scrambled after it, barely missing the chance to be a snack for the mighty beasts.

Of course I saluted the plow drivers as they passed, knowing that I would have smooth riding for the rest of my trip home. And it wasn't until I got home that I noticed my bike computer had fallen off while I was dodging the plows. I went back to look for it this morning, but it was either smashed by the truck wheels or buried under the snow. It turned out to be a pretty expensive ride in the snow!

"Think Outside the Cage"