Old 02-15-08, 09:04 PM
Bob Dopolina 
Mr. Dopolina

Bikes: KUUPAS, Simpson VR

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 149 Post(s)
Liked 117 Times in 41 Posts
You need to train at sea level where there is enough O2 floating around so that you can do the work you need and then recover (sleep) at altitude. While recovering at altitude your body will compensate and produce extra red blood cells.

Red blood cells are high turnover cells so the new, extra cells, will be used up pretty quickly and not replaced once you return to normal altitudes (for you). 2 weeks is also a pretty short period of time but you may see some effect.

You need to make sure that you have the compounds in your body to make the cells if the first place. Supplement with the following before, during, and after your trip:

B5, B6, B12. Zinc, FOLIC ACID, Calcium, Vitamins E and C and iron. Be careful with the iron. It is difficult to process. If you can take it in liquid form it is easier to absorb than pills. Too much iron in the gut can cause serious infection. I used to get 40-80mg elemental in an IV every 6 weeks or so during the peak of racing season. This kept my serum stores high and I didn't have to deal with processing the iron.

You might want to get a blood test pre and post trip. When you look at the iron don't look at the circulating iron. You can almost anemic and you won't see a drop in this number. Look at STORED iron. Also look at your reticulicite count. If you don't have cells ready to go then you will get zero effect. Lastly look at you TIBC (Total Iron Binding Compounds - these are the compounds I mentioned - they bind the heme to the cells). There should be enough to do the job. If this number is too high or too low something is wrong and again, you will get zero effect.

Enjoy your trip. Maybe you could post some pre and post number for the curious snowbound to ponder.