View Single Post
Old 02-16-08, 11:43 AM
riddei
Needing more power Scotty

Bikes: 2006 Trek T-80 (commuter) 1982 Bianchi SS (classic 12 speed)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by clifbar
Hello,
I'm guy in the video and there seems to be some misinformation going on here. I just wanted to set the record straight about a few things. I was commuting, although not to work. I was going to a particular destination and then back. Not that it really matters. I have a friend who commutes to and from work and school every day regardless of weather. Should he or anyone else be required to forfeit their right to be on the road every time the weather is bad? Should he have to call in sick because it is snowing and some cyclists think he shouldn't be on the road in those conditions?

I had no idea where the plow was going, plows often take unusual routes, so until he was right behind me, I was unsure what his intended route was. As far as I knew he may have been turning at one of the intersections I went through...
I’ve been assaulted, forced off the road, hit by passing cars, had my life threatened, and been threatened with arrest, all for riding legally and safely. I use the cameras to gather evidence if and when such instances occur.
clifbar, welcome to the forum .

It does matter whether you were commuting or not, simply because this is a commuter sub forum. If it was the Winter-bike forum you would have a totally different discussion (it is cross-posted in that forum).

I wasn't the one to say you should have jumped over snowbanks to get off the road. However, if it was me, I would have gotten out of the way of that plow-truck long before he passed you (defensive driving translated into defensive riding). Having said that, he was COMPLETLEY WRONG to endanger your life, no argument there.

I'm sorry that you've experienced assault, been forced off the road, hit by passing cars, had your life threatened, and been threatened with arrest. I'm glad that I've never been in those shoes. Perhaps it's because we live in different cities, perhaps it's because I won't put myself in situations to experience that stuff.

Either way, welcome, and thank you for sharing your side!

Last edited by riddei; 02-16-08 at 01:06 PM.