View Single Post
Old 02-17-08, 03:53 PM
tradtimbo

Bikes: 1982 Fuji Team, 1979 Raleigh Team Record, 1984 Raleigh Team USA, Japanese Raleigh Super Course, 2000 LeMond Buenos Aires, 90's Schwinn High Plains, 1978? Austro Daimler Inter 10

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I say build your own just because it sounds like you want to. I think you'll be glad you did. right off the bat you won't save money, but you may in the long run. for example, I have a set of Mavic Championnat Du Monde rims laced to some Normandy Competition hubs. The wheel set is from the 70's. Unfortunately the rims are in rough shape, but the hubs are healthy. In stead of paying a shop to build a new set around the hubs, I'll do it myself. All I have to buy is rims and spokes.

I personally hate seeing someone at a bike shop do something I can do on my own if I had the right tool, so I usually end up buying the tool and doing it myself. Some tools (Like a truing stand) you can make yourself if your innovative enough. Dishing tools are not really that necessary, but will save you time. spoke wrenches are cheap. tensionmeter is optional. There are ways to tell if your spokes have the proper tension without one.

I agree that your not going to find what you ideally want in a wheelset, but being able to build wheels on your own allows you to be much more specific about what you put into the wheel. You can have any combo of hubs/spokes/rims you want.