Old 02-19-08, 03:18 PM
logdrum
Headset-press carrier

Bikes: Kona with Campy 8, Lynskey Ti with Rival, Bianchi pista, Raleigh Team Frame with SRAM Red, Specialized Stump Jumper, Surley Big Dummy

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Here in the High desert and Southwest, we have these pesky thorns called "goatheads", They will go ttrough any tire at some point, but Conti Vectrans and Gatorskin and the Armadillos resist them farily well but I still use tufo or stan's sealant. If you ride through broken glass and then through goatheads, there is a grater chance for your tire to be punctured by goatheads before the glass. A glass may tear the thread but a goathead is guaranteed to go through.

I still use tubulars, because ,my bike came with 2 tubular wheelsets and 1 more pair with no freehub body. I use tofus but now using Conti Sptinter Gatorskins and the Vectrans. Most of tofu's work too but you have really to get them inflated at higher PSI.

Here's what I found... My traditional looking wheels Mavic SUP and some really light Campy rims are better at climbing than newer clincher wheels I've tried (no carbon though) . They are also durable and hold their roundness. Plus all the benefits above. As long as I use the conti gators or vectran plus the sealant, I have zero flats most of the season. The only time that the sealant failed are when the threads got cut (this was a cheaper tufo) and if this was a clincher the inner tube would burst out of the hole anyway unless you boot the tire.

Having said that my other bikes have clinchers and I am happy with them as well.