View Single Post
Old 02-20-08, 10:47 AM
splytz1

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Charles Wahl
I am not sure, but I believe that my Raleigh Gran Course is essentially the same frame. Has exactly the same stays, and the "shot-in" detail. Mine is a Worksop bike, Reynolds 531C tubeset, Prugnat windowed lugs, nice workmanship. The only difference I can see is that mine has the standard Campagnolo-style shifter braze-ons, while the Road Ace has one of those tube-top fixtures -- probably to accommodate the 600AX group. My frame (purchased as frame only) is actually in the same catalog as the pages pictured above, in the back. My frame also has the "fade" paint scheme -- darker blue-gray metallic on bottom and front, light blue metallic on top and rear. You can see pictures of my bike here:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/13175746@N05/
Interesting. I also have a Worksop bike with the same lugs, Gipiemme dropouts, 531c tubeset, but it is a Carlton Supercourse. The Worksop factory closed in April (?) 1981, if memory serves, and of course it produced Carltons and higher-end Raleighs. Apparently they are the same frame with different decals. Mine is also nicely finished, though the mitering is somewhat suspect.

Apologies for hijacking the thread a little.