Old 02-21-08, 02:39 PM
mattface 

Bikes: Bridgestone RB-T, Soma Rush, Razesa Racer, ⅔ of a 1983 Holdsworth Professional, Nishiki Riviera Winter Bike

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 32 Times in 10 Posts
Just a thanks to all those who posted recommendations. I went with the Axio Hardsleeve which seems about exactly what I wanted. Small enough to slide in my bag, and sturdy enough to take minor bumps. It's also not all that expensive, especially since I found a place that had it for $35 with free shipping.

To recap:
The Brain Cell is one of the most highly regarded semi-rigid sleeves for protection
Shinza Zeroshock III is also highly regarded for a semi-rigid sleeve
The Mac Truck will give you excellent ruggedness at a price of weight and bulkiness
The Peli 1080 will give pretty much unmatched ruggedness and is waterproof to boot if your laptop will fit.
The Axio Hardsleeve is a great compromise with a durable polycarbonate shell, and ample EVA foam padding, and a custom fit for Macbooks. It's bigger than a soft sleeve, but MUCH better padded, and the hard shell though it ads some weight also should add some protection from hard sharp objects.
Another option not previously mentioned, but mentioned in the link Traffic Jammer posted is the Rhinoskin Hardcase. It's a work-in hardcase, but it did not look comfortable to use with the laptop in, and doesn't look like it would offer the same level of protection as the Axio.