Old 02-22-08, 09:05 AM
MDcatV

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Duke of Kent
So this year, my team will have wheels for us to use as spares in races. Not sure which models, but either high end aluminum Bontragers, or their carbon clinchers. However, they'll all be DA cassettes.

And, I'm pretty sure that I'm the only one of the 12 guys at that level riding Campy. I WILL have my own spare wheels, a set of Mavic Ksyrium Elites, so I guess I'm covered in that area.

I'm just concerned that having spare parts on long trips might be a problem. The whole "domestique giving a wheel to his GC rider" thing comes to mind as well.

I can get a pretty decent deal on SRAM stuff through my college team, as the Prez there is a USAC teammate of mine as well. I'm leaning towards SRAM because it concentrates the shifting mechanics into one shift lever, and the hoods are more comfortable, for me, than Shimano. Not to mention the cassette compatibility. Of the three, I like Campy the best, but I don't want any issues with it down the road.

So, stick with Campy, or head over to SRAM?

If you can afford to do it financially, I'd say make the leap so that you're compatible across the board with your team mates. (this coming from a guy who rides campy).