View Single Post
Old 02-23-08, 02:48 PM
nashcommguy
nashcommguy

Bikes: Commuters: Fuji Delray road, Fuji Discovery mtb...Touring: Softride Traveler...Road: C-dale SR300

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The momentum for cycle-commuting is building, though very slowly. Most shops are STILL roadie, 'extreme sport', or competition driven. The mentality of the bike shop owner has to change. I can't count the number of times I've been 'snubbed' in an lbs because they figure out very quickly I'm a DIY guy/commuter and move on to a much easier mark.

My hope is that there is no 'high water mark' w/a receding number of cycle-commuters after that. Like 'disco' and/or 'line dancing'. A fashion trend that may go out of vogue. I hope not, but why do you think there's all those 70s roadbikes w/suicide brake levers in thrift stores for 10 bucks? All those college kids grew up and hung them in their garages well out of the way of their SUVs. Gas wasn't 3.00 per gallon in those days though. So, all these suburban developments came into existance because of the culture of the automobile. If the demand grows you'll see more and more shops become 'newbie friendly' which is NOT the case now.

That's why the 'Mellow Johnny's' venture is so important. It's taking the 'high visibility' of the best known cyclist in the world and using that celebrity to call attention to a much needed change in the mentality of 'Urban Planners'. Factoring in bicycle specific or MUP routes w/o conflicting w/auto roadways is going to have to be done. The crush of urban traffic scares the crap out of most people who would ride if there was a safe, auto-free route to their destination. Sorry, I went on a bit of a rant, but I don't think you're going to find a 'commuter friendly' lbs anywhere. The commuter stuff is going to be back behind the 'big ticket' items and there wont be much of a selection.

In Nashville, TN there are 3 bike shops within 2 blocks of one another: Cumberland Transit, Nashville Bicycle Co. and The Bike Pedlar. None of them are 'commuter friendly'. The saving grace may be that the owner of Cumberland Transit is reputed to be a 'friend' of Lance Armstrong and the success of the Mellow Johnny's venture may shake them out of the 'bike snob' mentality.

But, like other posters have said, maybe Portland, Minneapolis in the States and the mentioned cities in Canada. I agree w/you. I buy most of my stuff online because the stores have the stuff I want in stock and I'm not made to feel like an 'inferior being' because I want an NR Trailrat instead of a $500.00 L&M rig.