View Single Post
Old 02-24-08, 09:11 AM
Neil_B

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
Originally Posted by Tom Stormcrowe
Don't forget one maxim about touring though, Neil.....

It's not about the speed or even the distance covered in a day...it's about the journey itself.

Now, if you two WANT to do a Century in a day on the trail, then yeah, go for it....all that would happen is that either you will or won't make the goal. Just don't let that detract from the plain old enjoyment of the ride
No, it won't detract from the ride at all. But one feature of Neils on Wheels from our first meeting back in June 2007 is that we keep pushing the other. It started at lunch on our first ride:

Neil F: I'd like to be able to ride 50 miles at at time by the end of the summer.

Neil B: Why wait? Why not today?

Neil F. OK.

And while we didn't ride 50 miles that day, we did a week later. Within a month I'd gotten Neil F. to ride a metric, and in two months, with some help from an auto accident, Neil F. got me to become a bike commuter. He dragged me, willingly, into touring, and a bit less willingly, into cold weather touring. I've convinced him to try camping, an activity neither of us has ever done before. Neil F. is curious about becoming a century cyclist, and I'd like to see him become one, if only because if I can do it, he should be able to do it faster and better.

Anyway, if it doesn't happen, it doesn't happen. It's still going to be a wonderful tour. But if I can make it happen..... I will.