View Single Post
Old 02-27-08, 02:03 AM
spambait11
Señor Mambo

Bikes: TST roadie, Cannondale CAAD 3, Surly Karate Stokemonkey Leap, Tern Cargo Node, Helix Alfine; 36er and 29er Triton Unicycles; a couple Bike Fridays; one Brompton; RadPower Radburro

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 12 Posts
Originally Posted by Abneycat
...but it should be fine for fitting in a car trunk, taking on the city trains, or on the greyhound right? I think thats the biggest concern at this point in time...
Car trunks are doable. Some trunks, like the one on my wife's car, will not accommodate the width of the handlebars in its folded state. To make it fit, I simply remove the front wheel and turn the bars sideways.

Our lightrail system would allow this bike on board folded.

If the dude at Rock the Bike could fit his full-size Xtracycle in the luggage holder of a Greyhound bus (albeit with some disassembly), I have high hopes for the Jack. (BTW, when transporting this bike while folded, it's a good idea to use the included velcro strap to keep the Jack together.)

Oh, and on the Xtracycle stand - I understand fully the stock stand is "okay" but it doesn't seem that its going to have a really long lifespan - wiggling a bit already.
My kickstand mounting plate broke off after a couple months of steady use. Xtracycle warrantied it and sent a chainstay mounted Greenfield kickstand in its place. Still not the solution I'm looking for though.

Too bad the Rocksteady is so expensive and doesn't mesh with the wideloaders.
That and the fact it's more than 1/4 of the price of a new Free Radical kit.