View Single Post
Old 02-27-08, 09:38 PM
John Forester

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by WaltPoutine
This is a relatively simple poll which attempts to get a rough idea of how many participants to the A&S forum are also employed in the field, either voluntarily or professionaly.
I've been in the field of bicycle transportation for thirty-five years, participating in the committees responsible for bikeway standard design, for bicycle transportation science development, for traffic law, for cyclist training, and a few other ancillary committees, but I have never been paid by any of these. Government will pay only for what it wants done, rather than for what should be done, and the volunteer organizations are, of course, best run by volunteers. The only people whom I have discovered who will pay professional rates for accurate information, capable of standing up to cross examination, about bicycle transportation affairs are attorneys with bicycle accident cases. So that's where I earn that portion of my income that comes from bicycling affairs. Oh, yes, a little comes from bicycling books, also.