View Single Post
Old 03-01-08, 08:48 AM
Schwinnrider
Mirror slap survivor

Bikes: Gunnar Sport, Surly Pacer, Access MTB, Ibex Corrida, one day a Simple City

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Why not more 26" wheeled road bikes?

And when I say road bikes, I don't mean road racing bikes. Racing is the domain of the skinny tire. I mean why not more touring/commuting/cyclocross bikes with smaller wheels? Yes, it would help short guys like me, but it seems like stouter wheels and fatter tires would help in other instances, too. I remember the Bridgestone XO series, which now has reached cult status. Have you seen the prices on an XO-1 on eBay lately? Used ones regularly sell for as much or more than when new.

Surly and Rivendell seem to have it right, at least with smaller frame sizes. But I look at other builders and I think they just don't understand the needs of the shorter rider. Raleigh has the One Way and the Sojourn---and I guarantee you those fendered bikes have serious toe clip overlap in 53cm or smaller. I know it would be a bit of a logistical problem, but smaller bikes work better with smaller frames----especially bikes intended to be fendered.

There is the 650b movement(if you can call it a movement), but I don't see a major company jumping on that bandwagon any time soon.