View Single Post
Old 03-01-08, 08:52 PM
TandemGeek
hors category

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
FWIW, I've finally got my conventional wheelset in hand.

The tale of the scale is 1,950 grams for the set, noting that the rear hub has an integrated disc mount. So, for a more accurate comparison you must add the 62 gram thread-on disc adapter's weight to the low-spoke count racing wheels which gives you a comparison weight of 1,862 grams (yes, for some reason my the low-spoke count racing wheels are reading 30 grams lower than spec, and i don't believe the decals that I removed could weight that much) using the same Ultimate Alpine scale. That's a difference of 88 grams... and if they'd used the correct spokes that difference would have been 18 grams.

Now, for an apples-to-apples comparison, a White Ind. Daisy rear hub (left-hand threaded just like the low-spoke count racing wheels) would need to be spec'd, and you'd lower the weight of the rear wheel by 78 grams, which would better the weight of the low-spoke count racing wheel's by about 60 grams.

Again, the Fusion rim is not one that I'd recommend for heavier teams that need a wider tire (28mm and up), and I personally prefer the Deep-V even though each rim is about 20% heavier than the Fusion. However, for teams who can get away with running 23mm or 25mm tires, it demonstrates that you can build up a conventional wheelset with 36° hubs/rims and a semi-deep section / aero rim to achieve a wheelset weight of about 1,760 grams.

Tomorrow we'll see how they ride compared to the low-spoke count racing wheels.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
calfee.jpg (88.4 KB, 35 views)

Last edited by TandemGeek; 03-02-08 at 09:32 PM.