View Single Post
Old 03-02-08, 06:12 AM
wahoonc
Membership Not Required

Bikes: Giant Excursion, Raleigh Sports, Raleigh R.S.W. Compact, Motobecane? and about 20 more! OMG

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 14 Posts
Originally Posted by Dahon.Steve
The market forces could very well bankrupt the motor car industry and possibly the entire transportation industry. Greenspan is correct in that market forces will come to the rescue from the upcoming energy crisis and save us from ravages of the automobile by making it cost prohibitive.

I was in the library today reading newspapers on microfilm dating back in 1908. Market forces could very well bring back a car free society with trolleys running every two minutes during rush hour and the return of the iron horse. Capitalistic forces could very well mean the end of personal motor transport and the return of public transportation if we cannot find an inexpensive replacement for oil. The market forces will be allocated in other areas like horse and animal power, wood burning stoves and solar fuel cells.

I will say this. After spending four hours reading newspapers dating back 100 years ago, I didn't see much human suffering at all. Yes there were trolley accidents and derailments but it was far less carnage than what is happening on todays roads. Life in my town during the last century was very much like it is today with people getting married, playing sports, buying houses including heavy items like a piano! All without motor transport.

The upcoming energy crisis will not bring about a "Dooms day" like Greenspan said. It may mean the Dooms day for personal motor transport. I can't wait!
There will be some serious adjustment and there will be fallout. We are already seeing it is some places. Hopefully some gains won't be lost. I can assure you, I would rather be a factory worker in todays plant than a plant of 100 years ago. If we revert to the financial picture of 100 years ago, the middle class almost didn't exist and what did was much smaller than it is today. We were almost a 2 class society at that time.

Aaron

ISO: A late 1980's Giant Iguana MTB frameset (or complete bike) 23" Red with yellow graphics.

"Cycling should be a way of life, not a hobby.
RIDE, YOU FOOL, RIDE!"
_Nicodemus

"Steel: nearly a thousand years of metallurgical development
Aluminum: barely a hundred
Which one would you rather have under your butt at 30mph?"
_krazygluon