Old 09-18-04, 02:07 PM
wfin2004
Banned

Bikes: Trek 4900

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Funny you should ask! When I bought my Trek 4900 last year I tried to keep it immaculate. I knew about keeping spray to a minimum and all that. Well, I started getting a grinding feeling in the headset only after 2 months. I took it to the Trek dealer where I purchased it. They ended up replacing headset bearings because the old ones were "shot". It cost me $49.00 for those repairs. They would not honor ANY warranty at all. I moaned and groaned to owner and even e-mailed him later. They said it was my fault because I washed it!! It does not say anything in Trek Warranty Manuel about NOT washing your bike. In fact it says you can but go easy on the spray when you are washing it. I have not been back to the LBS in this town since that "incident". I drive all the way to Tampa for even the smallest of Biking needs now. So, to answer your question, Do I enjoy keeping my ride clean? Of course I do, but I refuse to wash it. I don't care how dirty it gets and when people ask me why I don't rinse off the mud, I tell them the story AND I mention the name of the LBS that would not honor warranty and lost a customer over 49 measly dollars.