View Single Post
Old 03-03-08, 07:09 PM
rousseau

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked 38 Times in 21 Posts
Yeah, the binging isn't good. When I say pizza, though, I mean one slice, which according to the online nutritional info for the chain in question is 500 calories. I've become aware enough now that scarfing down a whole pie would be beyond the pale.

I calculate my calories burned from cycling using the Kreuzotter site. It's supposedly accurate enough as far is it goes. I intentionally enter my weight into FitDay as 5 lbs lower than it is in order to overcompensate (undercompensate?) for calories burned. Also, the "background activity" in the desktop version has sleep and other activities which you can tweak--I try to underestimate in every area.

In 2007 I averaged 5 1/2 hours per week on the bike over a period of 37 weeks. During the warmer months I'm on the bike between 6 and 8 hours per week. This winter I've been on the trainer every day if I haven't been outside, and I'm hoping to increase my weekly averages this year.

One issue: if I keep my beer night to once per week, I figure I can sustain an average caloric deficit of 500 per day. I won't give up beer entirely--that's out of the question.

One question: this may be a hackneyed topic, but is there anything of substance to these diets that lower carbohydrate intake? Supposedly they allow you to lower your caloric intake without feeling hungry all the time. I wonder if that's true? Having said that, I'm surviving quite well on the daily average calories I get. The key was cutting out silly snacks like potato chips and cake and the like in favour of fruit. Doing that resulted in a drop of 10 lbs just in the first month.