View Single Post
Old 03-04-08, 04:40 AM
EvilV
Bicycling Gnome

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
What have I done with it? Mostly I just ride it, but I also modified the Merc to have two front chain rings so that I could lower the ratios on steep hills. It's a Sturmey three speed hub gear and the stock 175% gear range can be a bit narrow if you live somewhere with steep hills, high head wind probability or if you want to ride longer than the typical commuting distances. I arranged a front derailier and handle bar lever which works very well indeed, but to be honest, I only rarely need to drop down onto the smaller chain wheel. Mostly, the bike is ridden as it was intended to be - a three gear bike for rides of about five miles. It isn't at all tiring at that sort of distance.

Please note, these pictures were taken during some filthy weather last winter. The bike is generally a lot smarter than this.

The derailieur clamp is by Steve Parry of Bromton mods fame. It cost £40, but I think I have found an alternative that costs a mere £10. I need to do some accurate measurements to make sure it would fit as an alternative, but it looks a reasonable match. The whole job cost me about £60. If the alternative clamp will in fact work, it would have cost about £37 for the whole mod (39 tooth chain ring from Anita at Merc £4.50, handle bar lever C £5, cable £2.50, front mech £10, derailier frame clamp £10). You might have to add a bit of postage for some items. Take the figures as ballpark rather than exact. I had a couple of bits like the gear lever and cable lying around in the garage.

Last edited by EvilV; 03-04-08 at 04:53 AM.